STANDARDIZED STUDENT DRESS CODE
Athens Independent School District
Standardized Student Dress Code
Version 4, Amended and Approved by Board of Trustees April 18, 2013
Mission Statement: The “Student Dress Code” for Athens ISD has been established to build student self-esteem, bridge socioeconomic differences between students, and encourage positive behavior, thereby promoting school safety and improving the learning environment.
Amended dress code information effective BEGINNING 2013-2014 school year, the Athens Independent School District will require all students to adhere to the standardized dress code adopted by the Board of Trustees.
Students must comply with District standards for grooming and accessories as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct. Final decisions on the appropriateness of school dress rest with the campus administration.
If the campus administration determines that a student’s grooming violates the dress code, the student shall be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. If not corrected, the student shall be assigned to in-school suspension for the remainder of the day or until the problem is corrected and/or may be sent home. Students who repeatedly violate the dress code shall be given consequences as assigned by a campus administrator.
New Students to AISD
If compliance can be accomplished immediately, students will be expected to do so. Otherwise, students new to the district have three (3) days to comply with the policy. Issues of extenuating circumstances must be addressed to the campus principal for consideration.
If you need assistance acquiring appropriate clothing to comply with the dress code policy, campus office staff will have resources available upon request.
• Colors allowed (including undershirts): All solid colors allowed with the following exception- no reds other than maroon, no blues other than navy; other colors may be prohibited at the discretion of campus administrators.
• Styles allowed: collared knit button polo style shirt or dress style buttoned shirts/blouses (long or short sleeve), or turtlenecks.
• Shirt tucking is encouraged but not required.
• Shirts/blouses must be fastened no lower than 4” from the top of the collar.
• See-through, provocative clothing of any type is not permitted.
• No logos, unless an approved Athens school logo.
• Brads, studs, zippers, or other adornments are not permitted.
Slacks, Pants, Shorts
• Styles allowed: trouser-style pants that fit and are worn appropriately at the waist.
• Colors allowed: solid khaki, navy blue, or black.
o Capris are acceptable for female students.
o Knee length walking shorts are acceptable for male students.
o Shorts are allowed in PK-5 for all students.
• Belts are encouraged but not required. Campus administrators reserve the right to require a belt to be worn in specific instances of repeated non-compliance with baggy or loose pants.
• Oversized clothing is not permitted, including overall, hip-hugger, or others that may be limited at the discretion of the campus administrator.
• Excessively tight clothing is not permitted, including spandex tights, shorts or pants, yoga pants, sweat pants, skirts, or other that may be limited at the discretion of the campus administrator.
• Baggy legged slacks or bell-bottom pants wider than shoes are not permitted.
• Brads, studs, or other adornments are not permitted.
Skirts, Jumpers for female students
• Styles allowed: traditional styles to the knee or longer.
• Colors allowed: solid khaki, navy blue, or black.
• PK-5, jumpers and polo-style dresses are permitted.
• Colors allowed: All solid colors allowed with the following exception – no reds other than maroon, no blues other than navy; other colors may be prohibited at the discretion of campus administrators.
• Vests and sweaters must be appropriately sized in the shoulders, sleeves, and length, and must be worn over collared polo shirt, blouse, or turtleneck.
• No logos, unless approved Athens school logos.
• Athletic shoes, loafers, dress shoes, or other closed toe shoes are permitted.
• Heels must not be greater than 1-1/2 inches in height.
• Para-military type boots, sandals, flip-flops, or house-shoes are not permitted.
• Shoes must match each other.
• Jackets/coats may be allowed in accordance with appropriate weather conditions.
• Jackets/coats must have a closing mechanism (full length zipper, buttons or snaps).
• No pullover hoodies allowed.
• Hose/tights must be of a solid, single color with no pattern.
• Caps, hats, or head coverings inside the buildings are not permitted.
• Clothing items may not be worn in any way that reflects gang affiliation, conceals contraband, or creates a distraction.
• All clothing must be properly hemmed, clean, and free from holes or tears.
• Undershirts must be of the solid approved colors with no lettering or designs.
• See-through, provocative, clothing of any type is not permitted.
o Girls may wear earrings in ears only.
o Boys may wear small studs in ears only. If questions arise as to the appropriateness of the stud earring, the final decision will be made by the campus administrator.
o Nose rings, eyebrow rings, lip rings, tongue rings or earrings worn on other visible parts of the body are prohibited for all students.
• Facial Hair
o Face must be clean-shaven.
o Beards, goatees, or mustaches are not permitted.
o Sideburns are not to extend below the bottom of the earlobe.
• Hair Length
o Male hair length may not extend below the eyebrows, below the bottom of the earlobe, or the bottom of the collar.
o Hair, at no time, should be in the student’s eyes.
o Hair shall be a natural hair color.
• Tattoos must be covered.
• Excessive or distracting makeup/hair color/conspicuous fads are not permitted.
• Symbols on clothing or jewelry that would distract or cause undue attention are not to be worn.
• Symbols, words, or slogans cut into the hair that are obscene, racially related, provocative, or otherwise deemed inappropriate by the campus administration are not permitted.
• Dark glasses (unless prescribed by a physician) or “wild eyes” contacts are not permitted.
• No school issued athletic apparel of any kind may be worn except in physical education and athletics.
• Students must wear appropriate undergarments.
• Athens ISD discourages the wearing of expensive jewelry and other apparel and is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
• Administrators may define appropriate dress for school-sponsored trips.
• The student’s condition of cleanliness and personal hygiene shall be such that it does not offend other students.
• All clothing must be properly hemmed/cuffed.
• No denim clothing of any color or style except on days designated by campus administration.